This month our club theme for grades 4 to 8 was debates. In a world where communication skills are key, debating is a more formal way of communicating. It allows students to build confidence and self-esteem and develops critical thinking and reasoning skills. When students can speak publicly and convey their ideas and thoughts clearly, they possess a valuable tool that can aid them in their public, private and future lives.
On November 25th, 2022, we hosted our second annual debate competition at the school. Some of the topics that were debated were:
- Should schools be gender segregated?
- Should Muslims live in a non-Muslim country?
- Should schools have a three-day weekend?
- Should children be expected to cook at least once a week?
- Should social media be used or not?